Thursday, January 29, 2009

Weekend House at the Farm

Lately, my thoughts are held on building a small house on a couple hundred acres on the back part of our farm in pendleton texas. This 200 acres is less agrarian and more secluded than the whole of the farm. Our farmhouse on the original place was built in the 20's or 30's and has aged. While I enjoy the old farm house I am in the slow but steady process of designing a small weekend house on the back of the place about a mile from the original house. This house needs to be a small cabin, like the ones built by Tiny Texas houses (a part of discovery antiques) but slightly larger and more usable. Here are some of my initial thoughts: It needs to have a steep gable roof, probably wood clading (likely shiplap), a simple deck. (Pause) now this is key, it needs to have a steep ladder up to a sleeping loft. I expect to have a iron stove for warmth, and no AC. Hunter original Hotel series fan will do fine with triple windows down each of the sides of the cabin. Paint color to be determined, but i really like the paint colors from Farrow & ball. Go this from Urban Grace blog and I ordered a color wheel. Floor boards will be reclaimed pitch pine planks (penstripe pine). wainscot at the walls will be bead board from discovery. They have a beadboard that is planned leaving the paint in the route joint. I think this is a great looking wainscot. Rustic but not texas rustic - the rusty star hanging on the wall kind of rustic. Did that make any sense? I am playing with the idea of having an exterior staircase up to the second floor at the front of the house. Steep set of stairs to an hole in the second floor, maybe a trap door. To avoid some plumbing and given our warm texas climate I think an outdoor shower is in order. To screen the shower users I perscribe straight 1.5" dia cedar posts with bark lashed together. The house will be supported by 10 drystack stone footings. Unrelated, I found this table at pieces of the past in johnson city, texas. It is an old home economics table, dates to the 30's or 40's is my guess. I love it, but cant bring myself to spend the 1,000 dollars Kathy is asking.

No comments: