Saturday, October 11, 2008

metal window openings

It is difficult to define eactly what like about a nice building, but windows are usually it. Windows are the eyeglasses on a pretty girl in the library. A well designed window draws you in and holds your attention. Thought goes into a well designed window, well proportioned, breathing, attractive, balanced, scaled and functional.

These pivoting windows on an old service station in Terrytown caught my eye.

They allow the movement of air which is functionally important, yet they have an industrial and universal appeal. Earlier in the year I was driving down congress ave and I took this picture of the scarbrough building as I was sitting at the light.The green tint of the windows is just right. This is a handsome building, one of Austin's best.


gardens on 35th did a great job with their windows. I stopped in on a wednesday and tried to take a few photos without being noticed. It is difficult to find the actual manufacturer of this type of metal window because they hardly exist, but I eventually found the only company that I know of that makes this type of window, a&s window associates. You will notice the casement for ventilation in the middle of the window. I like this, but the proportions are a bit strange. Well much of austin is strange. fd2s building is in an old warehouse in east austin. I think this building is an example of well proportioned windows. Not too big and sized to compliment the building.

No comments: